Directorate of Higher Education (DHE), New Delhi
The Directorate of Higher Education (DHE) was set up in 1997 with the aim to supervise and open new colleges in Delhi. DHE is also the administrative separtment for the 3 Delhi State Universities - Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University (GGSIPU), Ambedkar University Delhi (AUD) and the National Law University. DHE aims to improve the higher education scenario in Delhi and provide financial assistance to various colleges of the city. In fact, 12 colleges that are part of the University of Delhi (DU), are fully funded (100%) by the DHE and 16 other DU colleges are partially funded (5%) by DHE.
The directorate is also responsible for giving the no-objection-certificate (NOC) to professional institutes under the GGSIPU and for giving scholarships to SC/ ST/ OBC and economically weaker students.
New Schemes by DHE
The 2015-2016 budget plan by the Delhi government includes various proposals made by the DHE:
- Provide grant-in-aid to degree colleges; construct buildings for colleges sponsored by Delhi government
- Provide grant-in-aid to Bharti college, Maitreyi college and Kalindi college for building girls' hostels
- Improving the HR strength of DHE
- Awarding bright students of Delhi government-funded colleges
- Provide grant-in-aid to government funded colleges for improving their playgrounds and sports facilities
- Setting up a new campus of the Ambedkar University (AUD) at Rohini and Dheerpur, during the 12th Five Year Plan period
- Fund the GGSIPU to set up another campus of the University at Surajmal Vihar
- Award Rs.1 lakh to best lecturer in each of the 28 DU Colleges funded by the Dehi government.
- Scholarships for economically weak students
- Provide grant-in-aid to NLU
- Set up at least 35 more colleges that teach Arts, Management, Engineering Courses etc
- Provide financial support to the Delhi Institute of Heritage Research and Management
- Introduce new courses in the government colleges in fields such as Biotechnology, Genetics Plant Molecular Biology and Environment studies
B Wing, 5 Sham Nath Marg, Delhi