JMI Engineering Diploma Full Time
University Polytechnic (or Jami Polytechnic) of Jamia Millia Islamia offers a three-year diploma in different engineering disciplines. The admission to these programs is made on the basis of entrance test.
Diploma in Engineering (Regular) programs by Jamia Polytechnic
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering
- Diploma in Electronics Engineering
- Diploma in Civil Engineering
- Diploma in Computer Engineering
Candidates should be at least 15 years old on 1 October of the year of examination.
In terms of education, candidates should have one of the following:
- Intermediate or senior secondary school certificate from a recognized board with a minimum of 45 percent marks in aggregate with maths and science, or physics, chemistry and mathematics (not bio-science)
- High school or secondary school certificate of a recognized board with at least 40 percent marks in the maths and science aggregate or physics, chemistry and mathematics (not bio-science)
- An equivalent certificate course from an recognized institute recognized or senior secondary school certificate in vocational engineering with at least 50 percent marks in aggregate
The number of seats for each program are listed below:
- Civil Engineering: 60 seats
- Mechanical Engineering: 60 seats
- Electrical Engineering: 60 seats
- Electronics Engineering: 60 seats
- Computer Engineering: 60 seats
Syllabus for JMI Diploma Entrance Test
The objective test takes three hours, and has a total of 170 marks. The marks are divided into physics (55 marks), mathematics (60) and chemistry (55). The test medium is English. Questions are generally at the level of the secondary school examination.
Avogado's law, STP, ideal gas equation, diffusion. Rutherford's experiment, postulates of Bohr's theory, chemical equation, colloids and suspension, oxidation and reduction. Periodic classification of elements, gradation of properties, strong and weak electrolytes. Metallurgical processes, combustion of hydrocarbons.
Scalar and vector quantities, laws of motion, mass and weight, sound wave characteristics, laws of reflection and refraction, lens formulae. Electric current, Ohm's law, Coulomb's law, electric power, nuclear fission and fusion, chain reaction. Distance and displacement, resolution of vector, addition and subtraction of vectors.
Linear equations and their application when using two variables to solve simple problems. Quadratic equations and solutions through quadratic formula and factorisation, system of linear equations in two variables, solution by algebraic method. Theorems and congruence of triangles, Pythagorus theorem, trigonometrical ratios of angles. Collection and presentation of data.
For additional details, please refer to Jamia Millia Islamia's prospectus.
"Prospectus 2013-2014," Jamia Millia Islamia, http://jmi.ac.in/upload/admission/prospectus2013.pdf