National School of Drama (NSD)
Updated on: Feb 14, 2013
The National School of Drama is one of the foremost theater training institutions in the world and the only one of its kind in India. It was set up by Sangeet Natak Akademi in 1959 as one of its constituent units. In 1975, it became an independent entity and was registered as an autonomous organization under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860, fully financed by Ministry of Culture, Government of India.
Besides the training programme which is of 3 years duration, the School has explored new vistas in the areas of Childrens Theatre and decentralization of theatre training through many workshops under the Extension Programme. In 1999, the School organized its first National Theatre Festival, which was christened Bharat Rang Mahotsav and is generally held during the second week of January each year.
The training in the School is highly intensive and is based on a thorough, comprehensive, carefully planned syllabus which covers every aspect of theatre. The syllabus is known to have a perfect blend of theory and practice. As a part of their training, students are required to produce plays which are then performed before the public.
NSD provides a comprehensive three-year course of training in Dramatic Arts, with specialization available in direction, acting and stagecraft. Successful candidates are awarded a Diploma in Dramatics on its completion.
The Diploma in Dramatic Arts has been recognized by the Government of India for the purpose of recruitment to superior posts and services under the Central Government, where specialization in the field of Dramatics is required. The Diploma in Dramatics from National School of Drama is equivalent to any Post-Graduate Degree and is eligible for appointment as teachers in colleges and universities and is also eligible for the registration to Ph.D. programs.
NSD awards scholarship of Rs.3000.00 (Rupees three thousand only) per month to selected candidates.A student who is awarded such a scholarship by the School will be required to:
- Execute a bond of Rs.72,000.00 to the effect that if he/she decides to discontinue the training before the end of three years, or is made to discontinue on disciplinary grounds, he/she will have to return all the disciplinary grounds, he/she will have to return all the money paid to him/her before such discontinuance.
- Furnish a surety of Rs.72, 000.00 duly attested by a District Magistrate/Collector/ Dy. Commissioner (Revenue Authorities).
- Graduate in any subject from a recognized University.
- Proficiency in Hindi and English.
- Active participation in at least 6 plays or in any other theatre related activity. All applications must be accompanied by copies of testimonials and certificates etc.
- The applicants age should be between 18 to 30 years. The upper age limit is relaxed by five years for candidates belonging to SC/ST categories
The screening of applicants for NSD is done in two stages:
Stage I: At this stage the screening comprises of an audition or practical test of the candidates at the institutes four centers in Delhi, Kolkata, Bangalore and Mumbai.
Stage II: Candidates who clear the first stage successfully then move on to stage II where they have to go through a 3-5 day workshop on the campus of NSD, New Delhi. The final selection is made on the basis of the potential shown by the candidates in the workshop.
National School of Drama
Bahawalpur House , 1 Bhagwandas Road
New Delhi-110 001
Phone: 9111 - 23382821
(Sanskar Rang Toli)
National School of Drama
1, Bhagwandas Road
New Delhi - 110 001