JNU 2012 Admissions Process
Category A Admission Through Entrance ExaminationThe University will hold Entrance Examination on May 22, 23, 24 and 25, 2012 for admission to various full-time programs of study
Category B Direct Admission to PH.D ProgramThe University admits a limited number of candidates directly to Ph.D. program either on the basis of viva-voce or written examination and viva-voce both as may be decided by each Centre/ School both in Monsoon and Winter Semesters in all Schools/Centres.
In addition direct admission to Ph.D. is also offered in Centre for Comparative Politics and Political Theory, Adult Education, Women's Studies and Study of Discrimination and Exclusion. Candidates are required to check the availability of seats in each Centre/School before applying for admission in Winter Semester. Candidates are advised to refer to the admission announcement being notified separately.
Category C Admission of JRF Holders to M.PHIL./PH.D. and PRE-PH.D./ PH.D. Program in Science SchoolsThe University admits a limited number of candidates to M.Phil./Ph.D. and Pre-Ph.D./Ph.D. programs either on the basis of viva-voce or written examination and viva-voce both as may be decided by each School who have qualified a National Test entitling them to a JRF in Schools of Life Sciences, Physical Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Computer & Systems Sciences, Computational and Integrative Sciences and Biotechnology.
Eligibility Criteria: Only those candidates who fulfil the minimum eligibility requirements as prescribed
for admission of candidates to M.Phil./Ph.D. and Pre-Ph.D. programs through Entrance Examination under category A above in above Science Schools and have qualified a National Test entitling them to a JRF are eligible to apply.
Category D Part Time ProgramsThe University will hold Entrance Examination (in Delhi Centre only) for admission to Certificate of Proficiency and Advanced Diploma in Mass Media in Urdu a one-year Part-Time Programs of Study in the School of Language, Literature & Culture Studies.
Since these are Part-Time programs, these are intended for candidates residing in Delhi NCR only. Admission to Diploma of Proficiency and Advanced Diploma of Proficiency will be made on basis of the past academic record of the candidate which will be assessed in accordance with the criteria laid down by the University for selection.
Programs of Study
1) Advanced Diploma in Mass Media in Urdu
2) Advanced Diploma of Proficiency in Pushto
3) Diploma of Proficiency in Pushto and Bahasa Indonesia
4) Certificate of Proficiency in Mongolian, Pushto, Bahasa Indonesia and Urdu.
1. Advanced Diploma in Mass Media in Urdu : A Bachelor's Degree under 10 + 2 + 3 pattern of education with at least 45% marks in aggregate with Urdu as one of the subjects at High School or Intermediate or B.A. Level. 2. Advanced Diploma of Proficiency: Senior School Certificate, (10+2) or equivalent with at least 45% marks in aggregate and Diploma of Proficiency in language concerned.
3. Diploma of Proficiency : Senior School Certificate (10+2) or equivalent with at least 45% marks in aggregate and Certificate of Proficiency in the language concerned.
4. Certificate of Proficiency: Senior School Certificate (10+2) or equivalent with at least 45% marks in aggregate.
Application Process For JNU 2012A candidate can apply either Online or Offline.
Online Application Process
Note: Last date for submission of confirmation page of online Application Form is 28th March, 2012.
Offline Application Process
Candidates seeking a set of Application Form and Prospectus from Nepal are required to send a Demand Draft of Rs.400/- or equivalent in US Dollars. Money Orders and Cheques are not accepted. PLEASE DO NOT SEND YOUR REQUEST FOR SET OF APPLICATION FORM AND PROSPECTUS THROUGH COURIER. PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE WILL BE NO CASH COUNTER FOR SALE OF SET OF APPLICATION FORM AND PROSPECTUS.
BPL card holders will be issued a set of application form & prospectus free of cost on submission of a copy of the BPL card issued by the competent authority showing their name in the card.
Note: Last date of submission of completed offline Application Form is 21st March, 2012.
Important Dates For JNU Admission Process 2012-2013
- Start of Online Application Process: From 10am on 6th February, 2012
- Closing of Online Application Process: Till 5pm on 21st March, 2012
- Start of issue of offline Application Forms (only by post): 6th February, 2012
- Last date for issue of offline Application Forms (only by post): 5th March, 2012
- Last date of submission of completed offline Application Form: 21st March, 2012
- Last date for submission of confirmation page of online Application Form: 28th March, 2012
- Entrance examinations for admission to various programs, including Combined Biotechnology Entrance Examination will be conducted on May 22, 23, 24 and 25, 2012.
Note: 1. Candidates who are due to appear in respective qualifying examination prescribed for eligibility for admission to a particular program are also eligible to appear in the entrance examination. In the event of their selection, they will be admitted only if their results of the qualifying examination are declared before 14th August, 2012 and they fulfill the minimum eligibility requirements as prescribed in the prospectus.
2. The University does not offer correspondence courses.
3. While the University, on its part, shall ensure timely dispatch of Application Forms soon after receipt of the request from intending candidates, it will, however, not accept responsibility for any postal delay or irregularity or loss in postal transit.
4. Any dispute with regard to any matter relating to admission shall be subject to the jurisdiction of Delhi Courts only.
For detailed information visit our website : http://www.jnu.ac.in
Other Important Dates JNU Admission 2012-13
- Expected date for dispatch of communication for viva-voce examination: June 26, 2012 (Tentative)
- Viva-Voce of candidates selected on the basis of written test by: July 12, 2012 (Tentative)
- Publication of merit list for admission to various programs of study -
i) where viva voce is not prescribed (B.A. (Hons.) 1st year, M.A. (except Foreign Languages), M.Sc. & MCA): Latest by: July 13, 2012
ii) where viva voce is prescribed (B.A. (Hons.) 2nd year, M.A. (Foreign Languages), M.Phil./Ph.D., Pre-Ph.D./Ph.D., M.Tech./Ph.D., MPH/Ph.D., COP & ADOP(Mass Media): Latest by July 20, 2012
- Registration of candidates selected for admission -
i) For B.A.(Hons.) 1st year: July 18 to July 20, 2012 & July 30 to July 31, 2012
ii) For M.A.(except Foreign Languages), M.Sc., MCA: July 23 to July 25, 2012 & July 30 to July 31, 2012
iii ) For B.A. (Hons.) 2nd year, M.A. (Foreign Languages), M.Phil./Ph.D., Pre-Ph.D./Ph.D., M.Tech./Ph.D., MPH/Ph.D. and JRF: July 23 to July 31, 2012
iv) For Part Time: August 07 and August 08, 2012
v) For Direct admission to Ph.D.: August 09 to August 14, 2012
vi) For Direct admission to Ph.D. for Winter Semester: Jan 07 to Jan 08, 2013
- Last date for payment of fees: July 31, 2012
(Such of the selected candidates who are not in a position to join the program by stipulated date i.e. July 31, 2012 owing to non-declaration of their result but submit their acceptance alongwith the Bank Draft of the required amount by July 31, 2012 will be permitted to complete their registration requirements on or before August 14, 2012.)
- Release of Second List, if any, wherever required as per the admission policy of the University (Candidates are advised to check the list on the website of the University): By August 02, 2012
- Registration of Second List: August 03 to August 14, 2012
- Deadline for Admission/Registration: August 14, 2012
JNU 2012 Admission ProcessGeneral Eligibility Criteria
The candidates who have completed their graduation programs can apply for post graduation programs. The candidates who are going to appear in the final year of graduation may also apply for the entrance. However, if they are selected, students will have to submit all the relevant documents, including final mark-sheets before the deadline fixed for registration.
Indian Students: All Indian candidates are required to fill up the application form issued by JNU usually in the month of February. The candidates are required to sit for the entrance examination conducted at various places across the country. For application form and information brochure, please refer to the official website of JNU.
Foreign Students: All Foreign students present in India will be required to appear in the entrance examination subject to their fulfilling minimum eligibility requirement as prescribed for Indian students.
However, in the event of their selection they will be considered for admission subject to equivalence of their degrees and they will have to produce the following documents:
(1) Students Visa
(2) Medical Certificate prescribed, if any, by the Government of India.
Candidates already in India during entrance examination will not be considered for admission in absentia and they will have to go through the process of entrance examination for admission to various programs of study.
Note: There is a separate application form for Foreign Nationals wishing to apply from abroad. Their candidature will be considered in absentia subject to their fulfilling minimum eligibility requirement as prescribed for Indian students.
JNU 2012 Admit CardCandidates appearing for JNU Examination 2012 can now download their admit cards from the link provided below. The candidates are required to fill in their Application No. / OMR No. (only 6 digits) and their date of birth (year, month, date) in order to print their admit card.
JNU 2012 Selection ProcedureCandidates who qualify the entrance examination are called for interview and after clearing this round students are registered for admission to the program.
The JNU entrance examination for admission to various programs is conducted at the following places
- Kathmandu (Overseas Centre)
- Pant Nagar
JNU 2012 Seat Reservation
- 27% seats are reserved for OBC candidates (non creamy layer).
- 15% and 7.5% of seats are reserved for SC/ST candidates respectively in all programs of study.
- 3% seats are reserved for Physically Challenged (Handicapped) candidates (with a minimum of 40% disability).
Besides, all candidates who have passed qualifying examination prescribed for admission to
the concerned program of study from the identified backward districts, will be eligible for deprivation points.
All Kashmiri Migrants and wards/widows of certain categories of Defence Personnel will be eligible for deprivation points subject to their submitting a documentary evidence of their status (For details, refer to Chapter V of Prospectus).
All female candidates are also eligible for deprivation points. Only those candidates will be eligible for deprivation points as stated above who seek admission through Entrance Examination.
JNU 2012 Scholarships/FellowshipsScholarships: There are various scholarships schemes available for the students pursuing study or research programs in JNU. The National Scholarships Scheme, Post Matric Scholarships are also offered to the students.
Fellowships are offered to the research scholars if they qualify the NET and subsequent interview conducted by JNU. For more details on Scholarships, Click Here
Freeships: Limited number of free student-ships are available to needy and deserving Indian students as per University rules.
Students' Aid Fund: The University has instituted "Students Aid Fund" out of the contributions from the students and staff of the University and collections from other sources. The objectives of the fund are :
- to render financial assistance to the poor and deserving students for payment of tuition fees, examination fees, purchase of text-books, stationery etc.
- to meet any other need of the students considered to be genuine by the freeship committee of the School concerned; provided that the funds shall not be utilized for award of scholarships/fellowships or stipends or for payments of prizes, rewards etc. to students. A student requiring financial assistance shall apply in the prescribed form, (through the Chairperson of the Centre), to the Dean of the School. Application for a loan may be made in the same form, (through the Chairperson of the Centre and the Dean of the School), to the Dean of Students.
Students belonging to the above categories and who are not in receipt of any scholarship/fellowship or financial assistance from any other sources are eligible to apply for financial assistance , loan or advance out of the above fund and their requests shall be considered subject to availability of funds so as to help the needy students.
JNU 2012 Fees DetailsCandidates selected for various programs of study will be required to pay the following fees
For Indian Nationals
M.Phil./Ph.D. Pre-Ph.D./Ph.D. M.Tech./ Ph.D./ MPH/Ph.D.
Tuition Fee (Annual)
Sports Fee (Annual)
Literary & Cultural Fee (Annual)
**'Students' Union Fee (Annual)
Library Fee (Annual)
Medical fee (Annual)
Students Aid Fund (Annual)
*Security Deposit (Refundable)
Identity Card Folder
Student Hostel and General information Guide
The fees are subject to revision
* To be paid at the time of Enrollment in the University.
** In terms of Statute 33 of Statutes of the University, membership of any students' organization shall be voluntary.
*** To be realised in two installments.
Students shall deposit tuition fee
(i) First Installment at the time of admission;
(ii) Second installment at the time of registration in the Winter Semester i.e. January. Annual Fees shall be paid at the commencement of each academic year.
In the event of student being enrolled simultaneously for a full-time course and one part-time course, he will be charged, in addition to all the fees and other charges for the full-time course, only the tuition fee in respect of part-time course.
Note: If a student does not pay the fees on time, a fine shall be levied as per rules of the University.
Foreign NationalsFor M.Phil./Ph.D., Pre-Ph.D./Ph.D., M.Tech./Ph.D., MPH/Ph.D., M.A., M.Sc., MCA, B.A.(Hons.) and Part-Time Programs of study:
i) Tuition Fee
(a) @ US $ 750 per semester for courses in science disciplines
(b) @ US $ 500 per semester for courses in humanities and social sciences
ii) Incidental Charges
@ US $ 100 per semester will be charged from both the above categories.
(1) Name of the defaulter, which shall be put up on the Notice Board, shall be removed from the rolls of the University.
(2) No request for fee waver will be considered.
BINC Examination 2012
BioInformatics National Certification (BINC) Examination 2012
(Department of Biotechnology, Government of India, New Delhi & School of Computational & Integrative Sciences, JNU, New Delhi)
- Registration starts: Nov.14 2011
- Registration ends: Feb 03 2012
- Examination: 25-26 Feb. 2012
The online application can be filled from 14 November 2011 to 3rd. February 2012. Syllabus approved by National advisory committee is available online. It consists of five sections:
- Physical & chemical sciences
- Mathematics& statistics